Cox Connect2Compete targets low-income households and has 500,000 subscribers, who can now get service at 25/3 Mbps at a low cost. That’s a boost of 65% over previous . . .
Arlington, VA – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the award-winning voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)® and NCTA – The Internet & Television Association.
It’s pretty clear now—Americans love the Internet of Things (IoT). Connected devices are finding their way into more aspects of our daily lives, and that has a big impact on the digital landscape. In fact, according to Parks Associates, 71 percent of U.S. broadband households own a connected entertainment device. Combine that with the fact that streaming video made up 76 percent of all consumer internet traffic in 2017, and it’s clear how large of an impact IoT already has on the internet ecosystem. And it’s only going to grow, and quickly.
“It is not surprising that the Supreme Court declined to hear this case dealing with the Wheeler FCC’s 2015 Order. Once the current FCC repealed the 2015 Order, almost all parties – including NCTA – agreed that the case was moot. Today’s decision is not an indication of the Court’s views on the merits but simply reflects the fact that there was nothing left for the Court to rule on.”
Job Posting: Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V
Job Description and Duties
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
You will find the Minimum Requirements in the Class Specification.
The Communication Division’s Video Franchising/Broadband Deployment Group assists the Commission in implementing the requirements of AB 2987, the Digital Infrastructure and Video Competition Act of 2006 (DIVCA), and gathers, analyses and visualizes and reports on data regarding video and broadband deployment, quality, subscribership, and employment. The Group provides analysis and advice regarding policies, laws and regulations involving video and broadband services and supports other deployment, adoption and usage projects and programs.
If you are using education to meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must submit a copy of your transcript or diploma. An official transcript will be required prior to appointment.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 11/7/2018
Who May Apply
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process.Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Other – Cover Letter should be no longer than 2-pages and should address the information in the “Required Experience/Qualifications” and “Desirable Experience/Qualifications” Sections
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
There are many benefits to joining the California Public Utilities Commission! The State of California offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Health, Dental & Vision Benefits
- Paid Sick & Vacation
- Basic Group Term Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 11 Paid Holidays
- 401(k) & 457 plans
- Telecommute Program
- Alternate Work Schedule
- Military Leave
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Long Term Care
- Group Legal Services
- Reimbursement Accounts
and many more! Visit www.calhr.ca.gov for a full list of available benefits!
The Human Resources Contact is available to answer questions regarding the application process. The Hiring Unit Contact is available to answer questions regarding the position.
Please direct requests for Reasonable Accommodations to the interview scheduler at the time the interview is being scheduled. You may direct any additional questions regarding Reasonable Accommodations or Equal Employment Opportunity for this position(s) to the Department’s EEO Office.
Required and Desirable Experience/Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct policy and data analysis and prepare clear and concise written work products and oral presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with others in a collaborative settings; work cooperatively with all levels of staff, management, decision-makers, stakeholders and government representatives and recommend policy outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative on work assignments, manage multiple tasks; prioritize work according to strict deadlines and exercise independent judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects, work well in a team environment and establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of state and federal communications regulation and administrative proceedings including Rulemakings and Inquiries.
- Knowledge of communications technologies and business plans and the impact of competition and regulation on innovation, technological development and investment.
- Knowledge of cable television franchising at the state and local levels, including the California state-issued franchising scheme, and the interaction of state and federal policies, laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of state and federal policies, laws and regulations relating to access to, and the use of, utility rights of way.
- Knowledge of state and federal policies, laws and regulations relating to communications attachments to utility support structures (poles and conduits), including both access and safety issues.
- Knowledge of state and federal policies, laws and regulations regarding broadband service
Additional Application Information
To become “list eligible” for consideration, interested candidates must successfully pass a civil service exam.
**The Department of Human Resources currently administers the Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V (PURA V) online examinations on a continuous basis.
You may apply and take the PURA V exam online at:
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing Civil Service, and the special trust placed in public servants.